3 Myths About Electricity Demystified

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Electrical Articles
  4.  » 3 Myths About Electricity Demystified

It is hard to imagine a world without electricity, right? Almost every appliance and device people use in their homes depends on electricity. Although people were always warned about the dangers of messing around with electricity, some might not realize how dangerous electrical systems are and how they function. It is not rare to find someone who had to deal with electrical hazards because they overlook the need to call a residential electrician. To help you avoid electricity-related accidents due to misunderstandings about electrical systems, we will list three myths you might have heard and need to be careful with. 

Electricity Myths

All electrical cords and power lines are insulated.

Have you ever wondered how birds manage to land on power lines and not get electrocuted? You might think that is because the power lines are insulated, but that is not always true as the majority is not. Even the ones that are insulated can have been damaged over time. The real reason why birds are not electrocuted is that their feet’ cells and tissues are not strong enough to create a conductive path. As for electrical cords, they are not always insulated or waterproof. For example, if you plan to use any extension cords in areas where there might be water (as the outdoors of your house), remember to get cables marked as “for outdoor use.” Avoid unnecessary risks, do not come near fallen power lines or manage unsafe electrical cords.

Rubber and wood protect you against electricity.

Everybody knows wood and rubber are non-conductive materials, right? Wrong. Using rubber gloves, soles and wood is not enough to be considered protective measures. Unless you are entirely sure that your gloves or shoe sole are 100% rubber, we advise you not to risk a DIY electrical task because you are not as safe as you might think. 

Most rubber products contain additives to extend their longevity that also increases their conductivity. The wrong rubber gloves may raise your risk of electrocution rather than protecting you. Even with electrical gloves, such as those emergency electricians use, the level of protection differs depending on the voltage. 

Wood is not on top of the good conductors’ list, but that does not mean it is a good insulator, especially if it is wet. If you have a valuable item stuck on a power line, calling a residential electrician is the safest option. Do not try to remove it with a wooden beam.

It’s okay to receive low-voltage shocks.

Some homeowners may prefer to DIY repair their wiring rather than call an emergency electrician. They experience shocks during their DIY project because they lack the necessary safety skills and protective gear. They usually think nothing could go wrong with a low-voltage appliance. Still, the fact is that even at low levels, shocks can cause involuntary muscle responses, which can result in injuries, wounds, or even death. Electrical currents are usually estimated in Amperes and not volts, and even 3 to 10 mA, or a 12-V car battery, can cause harm. 

Don’t take chances

Homeowners should be aware of the risks of handling the wires themselves. So don’t take chances. If you have any electrical emergencies, contact Electricians Ottawa. We can provide an excellent residential electrician to solve your problems. Call us at (613) 319-8430.