Circuit breaker problems
Hot ceiling fixtures
Light switches or electrical outlets are not working
Burning odor or sparks
Uncovered Junction Box
Too Few Outlets
Plug Falls Out of Receptacle
Sags And Dips In Power
Circuit Breaker Tripping Frequently
Knob and Tube
High Electrical Bill
Lights Too Bright Or Dim
Some of the reasons this is happening are:
- Miswiring – If the wiring is not installed properly electricity can continue to run through the circuit even if it is switched off. Faulty wiring can result in electric shock and fires. Other signs can be devices and outlets not working properly or no longer working at all. If someone is getting shocked when turning on or off a light switch, this is also a serious problem. Also look for:
- Too many extensioncords
- Dimming lights
- Flickering lights
- Strange smells
- Hot outlets or switch plates.
If you are experiencing any of these things, contact a licensed, qualified electrician to check your home wiring.
- Electrical Load – If a circuit becomes overloaded, the breaker will trip or a fuse will break. That means you are asking your electrical circuit to produce more power than it can, and the safety mechanism takes over to prevent overheating and fires. Most appliances use less than 15 to 20 amps, but high usage appliances need 20 to 30 amps. If you are running one or more of those high usage appliances, you need to have a dedicated circuit for it. You need to have an electrician investigate and upgrade your breaker box.
Tripped Breaker – If your breaker is automatically shutting off, that means you are asking it to provide more power than it is allowed to. An upgrade is in order.
If you are in the Ottawa, Kanata, Nepean or Orleans areas, contact us at Electricians Ottawa to have your wiring and breaker box inspected. Don’t rely on anyone who is not licensed and experienced as an electrician